Pedigree of Edwards

Edwards of co. Monmouth

Antigua genealogy from the book, The History of The Island of Antigua, Pages 231 to 234, by Vere Langford Oliver.

Nicholas Edwards, first settled in Barbados, but is stated to have removed to Antigua. He married a sister of Rev. Joseph Hutchins, at one time rector of St. Michael's, Barbados, who had settled there in 1771, and who was ejected from that living; he then became the rector of St Peters Parish, Speightstown, Barbados from 1779-1787. A brother of Nicholas Edwards, Henry Edwards settled at Barbados and left issue. His plantation was called "Edwards."

Nicholas Edwards had 2 sons, Thomas Edwards of Comfort Hall, Antigua, and Andrew Edwards of Cocoa Nut Hall, Antigua. In 1852, Comfort Hall, in St. Philip's Parish, contained 514 acres and was owned by the heirs of Thomas Spencer Edwards. It is no longer owned by the family. Cocoa Nut Hall, in St. Peter's Parish, contained 247 acres, and was owned by John Edwards in 1852.

Thomas Edwards of Comfort Hall, Antigua, Esq., the eldest son of Nicholas Edwards, was born about 1748. He married Margaret Spencer of Spencer Hall, sole heiress of Col. Thomas Spencer, Esq. of Antigua. She was born about 1757. They were married June 2, 1774 at St. Philip's. She died at age 39, on March 25, and was buried at St. George's on March 26, 1796. They had 10 children. Thomas Edwards married secondly Christian Wall, a spinster, on July 14, 1798. She was the daughter of Keave Wall. On May 24, 1799, a daughter, Ann Frances Edwards was born to Thomas Edwards and his wife Christian. Ann Frances was baptized July 14, 1799 at St. John's. Thomas Edwards died in his 57th year on February 28, 1805. He was buried March 1, 1805 at St. Peter's. His will of May 20, 1798, was proved in 1805. Christian Wall Edwards died December 9, 1806, and was buried December 10, 1806 at St. John's. Ann Frances Edwards died unmarried.

The children of Thomas Edwards of Comfort Hall, and Margaret Spencer Edwards

Sarah Edwards

Daughter of Thomas Edwards and Margaret Spencer Edwards

Sarah Edwards was baptized January 1, 1776 at St. John's, and was married to Thomas Gillan June 12, 1794 at St. Philip's. She became Sarah Gillan.

William Lewis Edwards

Son of Thomas Edwards and Margaret Spencer Edwards

William Lewis Edwards was born about 1776, and died April 13, 1799 at age 23. He was buried at Cocoa Nut Hall with his aunt and uncle, Andrew and Elizabeth Edwards.

Jane Edwards

Daughter of Thomas Edwards and Margaret Spencer Edwards

Jane Edwards was mentioned in her father's will to receive all furniture, plate and linen, divided among Jane, and her sisters Sarah Gillan and Juliana French Edwards.

Eliza Edwards

Daughter of Thomas Edwards and Margaret Spencer Edwards

Eliza Edwards was baptized January 6, 1779 at St. John's.

Thomas Spencer Edwards

Son of Thomas Edwards and Margaret Spencer Edwards

Thomas Spencer Edwards Edwards of Comfort Hall, Esq., was baptized March 19, 1785. He married his first cousin, Eliza Sarah Edwards, daughter of Andrew Edwards. He married secondly Anne Wickham Dalzell. From his first marriage, five children were born; Thomas Spencer Edwards, Andrew Berry Edwards, William Horatio Edwards, Henry Benjamin Edwards, and Elizabeth Margaret Edwards. Details are below under the descendants of Andrew Edwards of Cocoa Nut Hall, Antigua. From his second marriage to Anne Wickham Dalzell, two children were born. A daughter, Emma Edwards died a spinster. A son, Francis Wilson Edwards of Comfort Hall, Esq. married Susan Caines Ponsonby. His estates passed through the Unencumbered Estates Court. Francis Wilson Edwards and Susan Caines Ponsonby had two children; Henry Dalzell Bridges Edwards, a clerk in the Colonial Bank at Trinidad, 1888, and Frank Ponsonby St. John Edwards who was a planter of Antigua, 1888; born Sept 3, 1860, and was baptized Sept 5, 1860 at St. Philip's. Ann Wickham Edwards died 1867 and held the estate of Comfort Hall until her death.

John Luman Attwater Edwards

Son of Thomas Edwards and Margaret Spencer Edwards

John Luman Attwater Edwards was born February 28, 1787, and was baptized September 30, 1787 at St. John's. He was a Lieutenant with the 46th Regiment and died October 18, 1806. He died in his 20th year, of yellow fever, and was buried inside a walled space at Belfast, Antigua.

Juliana French Edwards

Daughter of Thomas Edwards and Margaret Spencer Edwards

Juliana French Edwards was baptized August 15, 1790 at St. George's.

Benjamin Hutchins Edwards

Son of Thomas Edwards and Margaret Spencer Edwards

Benjamin Hutchins Edwards was baptized September 30, 1793 at St. George's. He was a Major in the 43rd Foot; A.D.C. in India. He married the daughter of a general. They had three children. Ellen Jane Edwards married Gilbert Auchinleck of Antigua. She died there May 19, 1840 in her 19th year. Spencer Henry Hutchins Edwards was born 1823. He was a Lieutenant Colonel with the 98th Regiment, and was living as of 1889. Henley John Edwards, late of E. I. C. S., was living at Londonderry, Ireland in 1889.

Louisa Edwards

Daughter of Thomas Edwards and Margaret Spencer Edwards

Louisa Edwards was baptized March 20, 1796 and died September 26, 1796 at the age of six months, and was buried at St. George's on October 5, 1796.

Andrew Edwards of Cocoa Nut Hall, Antigua, Esq., the younger son of Nicholas Edwards, was born about 1752, and married Elizabeth Davis, daughter of John Davis Esq. of Antigua, and his wife, Elizabeth Elliot. John Davis Edwards and Elizabeth Elliot had married February 10, 1740 at St. Michaels. Their daughter, Elizabeth Davis was born about 1761. She married Andrew Edwards married March 5, 1778 at St. Peter's. Elizabeth died June 25, 1806 in her 45th year. Andrew Edwards died November 25, 1808.

The children of Andrew Edwards of Cocoa Nut Hall, and Elizabeth Davis Edwards

Arrabella Rutlidge Edwards

Daughter of Andrew Edwards and Elizabeth Davis Edwards

Arrabella Rutlidge Edwards was baptized March 20, 1779, and was buried July 6, 1781 at St. John's.

Andrew Edwards

Son of Andrew Edwards and Elizabeth Davis Edwards

Andrew Edwards was baptized January 3, 1782 at St. John's; He was married and had one daughter, Ann Eliza Edwards, who was living at 1815. He died before 1815.

John Davis Edwards

Son of Andrew Edwards and Elizabeth Davis Edwards

John Davis Edwards of Oldham Hall, co. Gloucester, which he purchased. He was baptized February 17, 1785 at St. John's. He married Julia. They had one son, John Edwards, and one daughter, Eliza Mary Ann Edwards. John Edwards was born March 19, and baptized November 1, 1821 at St. Peter's. He was educated at Magdalen Hall, Oxford and matriculated June 6, 1840 at the age of 19. He married Emma Hutchinson Pitt Smith, daughter of G. Pitt Smith. Eliza Mary Ann Edwards was the daughter of John Davis Edwards and Julia. She died a spinster January 31, 1892 of Freshford, near Bath. Probate was granted March 17, 1892 to Spencer Henry Hutchins Edwards, a lieutenant-colonel in Her Majesty's Army and Henley John Edwards esquire.

John Edwards

Son of John Davis Edwards and Julia

John Edwards and Emma Hutchinson Smith Edwards had four children, two sons and two daughters. Emma Hutchinson Smith Edwards died May 26, 1859. She was formerly of the island of Antigua in the West Indies, but late of 6 Cromwell-terrace Paddington in the County of Middlesex. She was a widow at the time of her death. Her son, John Bridges Bowen George Edwards of 263 East India road in the Parish of All Saints Poplar in Middlesex County was the Next of Kin. John Bridges Bowen George Edwards died March 9, 1886 in Australia. He was of Adelaide, South Australia, a seaman in the merchant service. His estate of 1590 GBP was administerd by his brother, Charles Edward Parker Edwards, a master mariner. Amy Mary Ann Rose Edwards was born September 1848 and died 1932 in West Vancouver, BC, Canada . Alice Annie Edwards was born in Antigua, 1851 and died a spinster in England, December 1, 1883. She is buried at Kensal Green, England. She was a spinster of 34 Temple St., Brighton, Sussex, at the time of her death. Her small estate was adminstered by her brother Charles. Charles Edward Parker Edwards was born March 13, 1853 and baptized July 6, 1853 at St. Peter's, Antigua. He died 1930.

Charles Edward Parker Edwards

Charles Edward Parker Edwards (1853-1930) married Sarah Frances Crews June 1, 1875 at Newton Abbot, Devon. They were married at St. Mark's Church in the parish of Torwood.

Sarah Frances Crews

Wife of Charles Edward Parker Edwards

Sarah Frances Crews was born at Christchurch, Hampshire May 30, 1850. Sarah was the daughter of James Henry Lamb Crews, a coast guardsman of Haven, Christchurch, and his wife Jane Crews, formerly Woolcock or Woodcock. James and Jane were married August 1829 at Brixham. James Henry Lamb Crews was born September 16, 1808 at Brixham, Devon. He was the son of Jeremiah Crews, who was baptized January 2, 1767 at Newton Abbott, Devon. Jeremiah Crews was also a Coast Guard and married Elizabeth Lyde Lamb who was baptized July 22, 1772 and married on July 21, 1793 at Brixham, Devon. Jeremiah and Elizabeth had another son, Theodosius Crews who was baptized Dec 14, 1809 Brixham, Devon, England. James Henry Lamb Crews died at Castor, Brixham on September 30, 1891, at the age of 83. His wife, Jane died at Burton, Christchurch on October 24, 1893 at the age of 88. Both James Henry Lamb Crews and his wife Jane Crews were attended at their deaths by their son-in-law, Thomas Chown.

At the time of Charles and Sarah's wedding in 1875, James Crews was a Pensioner, H. M. Customs. Charles was a mariner, living at 2 Park Place, Torwood. Sarah's residence at the time of the marriage was 7 Bolton Street, Brixham.

At the time of administering his sister Alice Annie Edward's estate (April 1884), Charles was of 8 Inverness Terrace, Broadstairs, Kent. He is listed as a Master Mariner.

From the London Gazette of Friday April 3, 1891, among a listing of Official Appointments and Notices, Charles Edward Parker Edwards was listed among gentlemen who had been appointed officers with the Royal Navy Reserve.

At age 62, Charles E. P. Edwards left England and sailed aboard the S.S. St. Louis to New York City. He departed from Liverpool and arrived at Ellis Island, New York on December 6, 1915. He was joining the steamer, "Herbert G. Wylie" in New York. His birthplace is given as Antigua, West Indies. He was travelling alone and gave his wife's address as The Den, Avenue Rd., Christchurch. Charles' occupation is given as "Master Mariner." His height is 5'6" and he has a fair complexion with fair hair and grey eyes.

During 1918, Charles was still in active service with the Royal Marines. Sarah Frances, his wife was living at Christchurch, England.

Charles Edward Parker Edwards died April 16, 1930 at Christchurch. The obituary that was printed in the local paper stated: "Edwards: --Suddenly on the 16th, Charles Edward Parker Edwards of the Den, Christchurch, Hants. Son of John Edwards, West Indian Planter, and Great Nephew of Admiral Sir William Parker." In fact Charles Edward Parker Edwards is a direct descendant of Admiral Sir William Parker. The Parker name in male lines has been carried down to the present.

THE LATE CAPTAIN EDWARDS TORPEDOED OFF IRISH COAST DURING WAR The funeral took place at Christchurch on Saturday of Captain Edward Parker Edwards who died suddenly at his residence, The Den, Avenue Road, Christchurch on the preceding Wednesday. The deceased had been mowing his lawn in the morning and had complained of a little pain in his side, but did not attach any importance to it. He passed peacefully away in his sleep during the same night in his 78th year. The deceased was a distinguished and experienced mercantile marine officer having sailed the seas for the whole of his lifetime until he retired at Christchurch about ten years ago. He built the Den some twenty years ago his wife making her home there. He had sailed to every part of the world and Mrs. Edwards had accompanied him on many of his journeys, while the greatest sympathy is felt for her in the loss of her husband after 55 years of married life. The late Captain Edwards was born in the West Indies where his father had an estate but he early went to sea and gained promotion rapidly. In his younger days he was in the cable ship Faraday and for a short time served with the P. and O. Line. By his own choice however he selected to serve with ocean going tramp steamers of which he commanded several chiefly of American lines. During the war, he had the experience of being torpedoed while in command of the American steamer Rockingham, which had thirteen American gunners on board. When about 150 miles of the coast of Ireland two German submarines were sighted, one on each side of the Rockingham. The gunners were at their posts but the submarines submerged before the Rockingham guns could open fire and Captain Edwards was unable to get clear as he had done on previous occasions by steering a zig zag course, as he had a submarine on his port as well as his starboard quarter. Both the enemy craft fired torpedoes and the resultant explosion killed two of the crew and smashed one of the four lifeboats. The remainder of those on board got away in the other three lifeboats one of which got separated from the other two in the course of the night. The Rockingham went down in twenty minutes. Captain Edwards guided the two lifeboats to Londonderry where he landed barefoot, while the remaining members of the crew in the other boat where picked up and saved by another ship. Mourners present: Mr. C. Crewes, Lowestoft, nephew, Mrs. G. Budden, niece, Mrs. Beavis, niece, Messrs. G. Budden, C. Martin, John Gerrad, Southhampton, Chapman of Bournemouth. The deceased leaves two sons, one in The U.S. and one in Canada.

The death certificate for Charles Edward Parker Edwards indicates that he died between 11 p.m. April 15th, 1930 and 7 a.m. April 16th 1930 at "The Den,"Avenue Road, Christchurch. Charles was 77 years of age and a retired Captain in the Merchant Service. He died of Angina Pectoris. Sarah Edwards, his widow was present at his death, which was registered on April 17, 1930.

In a letter written by Sarah Edwards from Boscombe, May 31st, 1932, to her daughter in law, Amy Edwards, she mentions the settlement of Aunt Amy's estate. Henley was to have 2 shares, Daphne 1 share, Bertie 1 share, and Sarah Edwards 4 shares. Sarah Edwards had decided to give 2 of her shares to her son Harold so that he would have the same as his brother Henley, and her other 2 shares were to be given to her grandchildren Dick and Frances Edwards so they would have the same as their cousin Daphne.

Sarah Frances Edwards died a widow on January 1, 1939 at 20 Hawkwood Rd, Boscombe, Bournemouth. Probate was given to John Garrard a shoe retailer and Edward Keith Dowden, solictor's managing clerk.

The children of Charles Edward Parker Edwards and Sarah Frances Crews

Harold Sydney Parker Edwards

Son of Charles Edward Parker Edwards and Sarah Frances Crews

Their first born son, Harold Sydney Parker Edwards was born 1876 at Richmond, Surrey. His Godmother was Gertrude MacDonald, wife of a retired Colonel. The 1881 census shows the family living at 8 Inverness, St. Peters, Kent, England. Harold is 5 years old, and living with his mother Sarah Edwards, age 30, and Gertrude MacDonald, age 46, and a female servant named Julia Smith. Charles is presumed to be at sea at the time of the census.

Harold Sidney Parker Edwards (1876-1964)

Major Harold Sidney Parker Edwards

Lt. H. S. (Teddy) Edwards
(caption under photo)

Harold was born Feb. 24, 1876, in Richmond, Surrey, England, and died Sept. 2, 1964. He was the son of Charles Edward Parker Edwards (1852-1930), a sailor, and Sarah Frances Crews Edwards. Harold's birth was registered as Harold Sydney Parker Edwards, but as an adult, he signed his name Harold Sidney Parker Edwards. Harold's wife, Amy Wyatt Patterson was born July 30, 1878 and died March 16, 1968. They were married on October 18, 1902.

Marriage Notice for Edwards - Patterson

Winnipeg Free Press

All Saints' Church, Winnipeg, on the 18th Oct., 1902, Harold S. P. Edwards, son of Capt. Edwards, R. M., of Bedford, England, to Amy Wyatt, daughter of George Patterson, deputy attorney-general, of Winnipeg.

Major Edwards had a distinguished military career. Before his marriage to Amy Wyatt Patterson in 1902, he served in South Africa during the Boer War. The Orange Free State and the Transvaal Republic fought against Britain; Canada supported Britain. The First Contingent was sent from Canada and was composed of 8 companies, Harold being in Company A from British Columbia and Manitoba. Harold was 23 years old when he enlisted on October 24, 1899 with the 2nd Special Service Battalion R.C.R.; his regimental number was 7044. He was invalided with an enteric infection to England and then discharged on November 20, 1900.

The following speech was delivered to Harold S. P. Edwards after he was discharged. He had evidently earned these accolades for his actions during the Boer War and a handwritten copy of the speech is treasured by descendants today. Holland, Manitoba is a small community in southern Manitoba, Canada.

Mr. H.S.P. Edwards


It gives us a very great deal of pleasure to be assembled today to welcome you back into our midst after the arduous campaigning which you have undergone in the greatest war that the century has seen.

From the moment that war was declared upon Great Britain and she found herself called upon to make a defense at a distance from home, and under circumstances, which would have rendered any other nation powerless to protect herself, the heart of every son of the Empire was thrilled, not with any tremors as to the ultimate result of the contest, but with some anxiety as to ways and means of meeting so dangerous a foe upon the battle ground of his own choosing. The quarrel of Britain was felt to be the quarrel of every subject of the Empire, and we well remember the intense interest which was taken even at this distance in every step of the rapid development of the war.

But how was this interest intensified when our Canadian government decided that the quarrel of the Mother land was indeed to be our quarrel in more than sentiment and when it was decided to give the opportunity to those of our best and bravest who were willing to do so, to embark upon the support of the cause which every Britisher feels was a just one, and to tender to Great Britain the support of loyal Canada in the struggle which many best observant began to think threatened to shake the Empire to its foundations. But how little did the most sanguine Imperialist realize how deeply were laid the foundations of that empire in the hearts of its loyal sons. We all remember how that for every man authorized to be enrolled in Canada, ten offered themselves, their time, their means, their life if need were, for the service of their Queen and country, and that when the lists were filled thousands of willing warriors were obliged to endure the disappointment of being left behind.

We assure you that we have watched with the keenest interest the movements of your own Canadians and with double interest the whereabouts of the regiment which had for us a representative in the nation's battles, and that we have hailed with the greatest pride and pleasure the very favourable mention so often made by Field Marshal Lord Roberts and other officers high in the conduct of the war of the valiant demeanour of our own countrymen under the most trying and difficult circumstances and our thoughts naturally centered upon our fellow citizen who had for us engaged to uphold the fair name of Canada and who was winning fame on the field of danger.

Especially were we proud when we learned that you had fought shoulder to shoulder among the valiant horses who inch by inch advanced the lines at Paardeberg until with the surrender of General Cronje the backbone of the war was broken.

Will you accept our sincerest congratulations upon the well earned laurels which you have won, and upon your safe return to our midst, and believe us sincere in the wish that you many long live to enjoy the honourable distinction which is yours as a soldier, a patriot, and a man.

Signed on behalf of the citizens of Holland, November twenty-eighth nineteen hundred.

W. R. Ross, Chairman

H.M. Nixon, Sec Treas

Member of Holland Town Board

Private Edwards returned to Winnipeg a war hero for his actions during the Boer War. On September 26, 1901, Harold received his medals in Winnipeg. Private Edwards was awarded the Queens Medal with 3 clasps; Paardeberg, Dreifontein, and Cape Colony.

The 1906 census for Manitoba reveals that Harold Edwards immigrated to Canada in 1898. At the time of the census, the family was headed by Harold's father-in-law, George Patterson, a widower aged 60 who lived on Bell Ave. Son Harold D. Patterson, single, age 30 and daughter Winifred Patterson, single age 24 also lived in the household. Harold Edwards, married and aged 30 lived with his wife Amy Edwards, aged 28. A female servant lived also with the family.

Harold and Amy Edwards spent time in England during 1906 at a home called "Antigua," Irving Road, Bournemouth. Harold was an estate agent and during the stay in England, their son, Richard Sydney Parker Edwards was born. The birth was registered by Amy Wyatt Edwards on the 31st of December, 1906. Richard's birth was registered in the district of Christchurch, County of Southampton.

After the birth of Richard Sydney Parker Edwards, the family left Bournemouth via Southampton aboard the ship, S. S. Minneapolis. On March 5, 1907, they arrived at Ellis Island, New York in transit to Winnipeg, Manitoba. Harold was 30 years of age, Amy was 28 and their infant son was 3 months old.

The 1911 census shows that Harold S. Edwards and his family lived at 217 River Ave., Winnipeg, Manitoba. Harold was a real estate agent for Hugo Ross Company, born February 1876, aged 35. Harold's wife Amy was aged 32, born July, 1878. Their son Richard Edwards was aged 4, born in England November, 1906. Their daughter Frances was aged 3, born in Manitoba, January, 1908. Also living with the family was a 26 year old domestic named Ethel Colby.

Harold, known as Teddy, continued his military career in Winnipeg with the Royal Canadian Regiment, 90th Battalion Winnipeg Rifles. Two years of service were served in France. With the outbreak of World War I, he joined the Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force in Winnipeg on December 4, 1914 and was assigned to the 27th Battalion as a Lieutenant. He sailed from Quebec aboard the S. S. Carpathia on May 17, 1915. During his service in World War 1, he was promoted and served as Captain in Canada, England and France. The Saturday August 14, 1915 edition of the Winnipeg Free Press quoted Teddy Edwards in a small story about the Winnipeg Bulldogs. Mayor Waugh of Winnipeg had called the 27th Battalion the "Winnipeg Bulldogs" on the eve of their departure from Canada. Some postcards depicting this were produced and one had been received in the mail by Mayor Waugh from Teddy Edwards. Teddy wrote, "The name you gave us is ours for keeps and we will make it good." Teddy Edwards was formerly of Hugo Ross Realty Co. office staff, and wished to be remembered by friends in Winnipeg.

Major Harold Sidney Parker Edwards (1876-1964)

Major Harold Sidney Parker Edwards

Major H. S. (Teddy) Edwards

Harold suffered a shrapnel wound to the left leg, causing a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula, at Ypres, Belgium, on June 11, 1916. This required several operations and he spent seven months in hospitals in England. He was sent home to Winnipeg for continued medical treatment. He was appointed to the rank of Major and placed on light duty serving with the 1st Depot Battalion, Manitoba Regiment in 1917. In April of 1919, he was declared medically unfit for service and discharged. Harold moved to Vancouver B.C. where he worked as a real estate agent until 1945. He remained in Vancouver until his death in 1964.

Obituary of Harold Sidney Parker Edwards

Vancouver Sun

Edwards-September 2, 1964, at Shaughnessy Hospital, Harold Sidney Edwards (major, retired), aged 88 years. Late of 3424 Dundas Street. Survived by one daughter, Frances, Winnipeg. The deceased was a veteran of the Boer War and served with the City of Winnipeg 27th Battalion, World War I; also a member of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch Number 2, New Westminster. Funeral service Friday, September 4 at 11 a.m. in the Roselawn Funeral Chapel, Broadway at Commercial Drive, Reverend R. Durnford officiating. Cremation.

Another obituary was published in the Winnipeg Free Press, Thursday, Sept. 3, 1964. Harold Sidney Parker Edwards. Died, on Sept. 2, 1864 at the Shaughnessy Hospital, Vancouver, B.C., Harold Sidney Parker Edwards, of 3424 Dundas Street, formerly of Winnipeg, aged 87 years. Mr. Edwards was a veteran of the South African War and served in World War I with the 27th Battalion and was active in real estate business all his life. Surviving are his wife, Amy; one son Richard of Barrie, Ont., one daughter Frances of Winnipeg; four grandchildren; eight great grandchildren; one niece Miss Daphne Rooke of Toronto. Funeral service will be held 11:00 am Friday at Roselawn 1669 East Broadway, Vancouver, B.C.

The children of Amy Wyatt Patterson and Harold Sidney Parker Edwards are Frances Annie Edwards and Richard Sydney Parker Edwards. The photo below was taken when they were children.


Richard Sydney Parker Edwards

Son of Harold Sidney Parker Edwards and Amy Wyatt Patterson

Dick was born November 11, 1906 in Christchurch, County of Southampton, England and died May 25, 1991 in Barrie, Ontario, Canada. He married Iris Margaret Mustonen, born June 25, 1910 in Appleton, Outagamie County, Wisconsin and died December 31, 1972 in St. Petersburg, Florida. Dick grew up in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

Dick Edwards

Dick Edwards as a baby

On August 28th, 1925, Dick became a member of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Discharge Papers indicate that the officer was of very good conduct while in the service, and of trustworthy character. Dick was discharged on May 4, 1928. In the fall of 1936, Dick moved his wife Iris, and two small children, Doris and Peggy, to London, Ontario. As a member of Princess Patricia's, Corporal R. S. Edwards attended the first militia tank school to open in Canada at Wolseley Barracks on November 1, 1936. Major-General F. F. Worthington set out to organize and train officers of the various permanent force units in Canada for at least ten months so that they would become capable of handling an army tank. The aim was to make every soldier mechanically minded, unlike the old days where every calvary man was a horse master. On May 1st, 1938 the tank school was moved to Camp Borden, and the Edwards family moved to nearby Barrie, Ontario. In 1938, Dick was an instructor in Driving and Maintenance at the Canadian Armed Fighting Vehicles Training Centre at Camp Borden. He was commissioned in July, 1940. In May, 1942, Dick was sent overseas as a reinforcement officer for the Canadian Armoured Corps, serving Canada during World War 2 as a lieutenant. His job was to forward reinforcements to the Division. In static conditions the job was described by Lieut. Edwards as fairly easy. On schemes and operations the job became much more difficult as everybody was on the move. Statically, no one would be held longer than overnight, but on operations, the job involved holding, feeding, and looking after up to 1500 men until they were needed. Lieut. Edwards was later attached to the 14th Army Tank Regiment, Calgary Regiment.


An airgraph sent home during World War 2 for Dick Edwards' son, Jack Edwards

In January, 1944, Dick was promoted to the rank of Captain. In August, 1944, Captain Edwards was sent from England to France and landed on the beach near Berniere-sur-mer, where he was in command of a new company as the advance against Germany accelerated. At one point, the troops were moving at the rate of 30 miles per day, and by September, 1944, Captain Edwards was in Belgium. They crossed into Holland by December and were crossing back and forth from Holland to Germany during March and April, 1945. When the end of World War 2 was finally a reality, Captain Edwards was sent to England for a well deserved leave. In this time, he rested and prepared to return to Canada while celebrating the end of the war with friends. During his period of active service, Richard was awarded the 1939-45 Star, France and Germany Star, Defence Medal, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp, and War Medal 1939-45. At the end of the war, Captain R. S. Edwards sailed home to his wife and children from England aboard the Ile de France in July 1945. The ship docked in Halifax and the returning troops were sent by train to Toronto. Captain Edwards had been away from his family for over 3 years. He was discharged from service October 24, 1947 and the family continued to live in Barrie. Dick was then employed by the Canadian government, working for the post office. Upon retirement in 1972, Dick and Iris sold their home and moved to Florida to retire.

Richard Sydney Parker Edwards

Richard Sydney Parker Edwards

Dick and Iris Edwards had four children, Doris Amy Edwards, Margaret Ann Edwards, John Sydney Parker Edwards, and Robert David Gordon Edwards. For more on the family of Dick and Iris Edwards, see the Finnish ancestry page of this website.

Frances Annie Edwards

Daughter of Harold Sidney Parker Edwards and Amy Wyatt Patterson

Frances Annie Edwards

Frances was born January 25, 1908 on Norquay St., Winnipeg, Manitoba. Her godparents were Mabel and John Sproat. Frances died February 15, 1987. While Frances Annie Edwards never married, she left her family a valuable legacy through her meticulous family records which account for much of the information we have today. Frances Annie lived all her life in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Her death notice says, in part, "She was employed with the C.N.R. for many years and was a devoted worker for the Salvation Army and was actively involved with the Canadian Save the Children Fund." Frances is buried with her mother Amy Wyatt Edwards at St John's Cathedral Cemetery and Churchyard in Winnipeg.

Ethel Mary Edwards

Daughter of Charles Edward Parker Edwards and Sarah Frances Crews

Ethel Mary Edwards was born November 6, 1878 to Charles and Frances Edwards. The LDS shows Ethel Mary Edwards was born to Charles and Frances Edwards, and christened December 19, 1878 at Broadstairs, Kent, England. At the time of the 1881 British census, Ethel, aged 2, was living at 23 Sillwood Rd, Brighton, Sussex with her aunt, Alice Edwards. Alice is unmarried, a British subject born 1852 in Antigua, W. I. and her occupation is boarding housekeeper. A 14 year old female servant named Minnie Watts lived in the household. At the time of the 1891 census, Ethel Mary Edwards was living at 39 Ashburnham Rd., Bedford. She is listed as a visitor, a scholar aged 12, and living with a family named Livesey. Cecilia Livesey is the head of the household which includes her five children, Ethel Mary Edwards, and a general servant. Ethel married Ernest Gilbert Rooke. Ernest Rooke was living in Winnipeg at the time of the 1901 census. He was a lodger, single, aged 29, who was born December 5, 1871 in England. He had come to Canada in 1894 and was working as a clerk. Ethel and Ernest Rooke's wedding date was August 29, 1903 in Montreal, Quebec at Christ Church. They had a daughter Daphne Frances Rooke, who was born at Port Hope, Durham County, Ontario on November 18, 1904. Ethel died at the age of 31 of tuberculosis, on March 23, 1910 at Nelson, B.C. Her death certificate states that Ethel had been suffering with tuberculosis for 2 years. Her death was reported in the Winnipeg Tribune a few days later. The article reported that Mrs. E. G. Rooke was well known to a number of people in the city, and that she had arrived from England some fourteen years ago, and was the sister of H. S. Edwards, who was connected with the Hugo Ross Realty Co. About ten years prior, Ethel had married E. G. Rooke of the Winnipeg Telegram and after the wedding they had gone to Port Hope, Ontario where Mr. Rooke purchased the Times and conducted that paper for some years. Later, after the birth of their daughter Daphne, they went to Edmonton where Mr. Rooke was managing editor of the Journal, and later the family was obliged to go further west on account of Mrs. Rooke's health. At that time, Mr. Rooke had secured a position on the Nelson News. Mrs. Rooke had been in bad health for some months past and her husband decided to locate in the Pacific coast city on this acount, when the death of his wife occurred on Wednesday. Ethel Mary Edwards Rooke is buried at Nelson Memorial Park, Nelson, B.C.

At the 1911 census, Ernest Rooke was a widower, aged 39 and living in Nelson, B.C. His occupation was journalist. His daughter Daphne Frances, aged 6, was living with him, along with a housekeeper.

Daphne Frances Rooke

Daughter of Ethel Mary Edwards and Ernest Gilbert Rooke

Daphne Rooke

Daphne Frances Rooke, McGill University Yearbook, 1923

Daphne Frances Rooke was born at Port Hope, Ontario on November 18, 1904 and had lost her mother Ethel when she was only 5 years old. Daphne was raised by her father, and grew up in Nelson, B.C., having matriculated at the Nelson High School. She enrolled at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec where Daphne was the youngest person to graduate in Arts in 1923. She was only 18 1/2 years old, and received her BA degree with first class honors, winning the prize of Shakespeare Medal. Daphne made her career as a secretary in Toronto, Ontario, and in 1933, she attended a conference in Edmonton, Alberta as the secretary of the National IODE Headquarters in Toronto. In the 1960s, Daphne was working with the Ontario Power Commission. In 1983, having retired from her career as a secretary, Daphne moved into a retirement home called St. Hilda's Home in Toronto. In 1998, in her 94th year, Daphne was mentioned in an obituary as a dear cousin of Dorothy Jane Rooke, the widow of Charles Rooke.

Henley Charles Rupert Edwards

Son of Charles Edward Parker Edwards and Sarah Frances Crews

Henley Charles Rupert Edwards was born September 15, 1881 at 23 Sillwoood Rd, Brighton, Sussex. At the time of his birth, his father's occupation was listed as Captain in Merchant Service.

The 1891 census shows the family to be living at 37 Spenser Rd, Bedford. Charles Edward Parker Edwards is presumed to be at sea. His wife Sarah is age 40, son Harold is age 15, and younger son Henley is 9 years of age. A 22 year old single servant, Elizabeth S. Adams, lives with the family.

On October 14, 1897, Henley sailed from Liverpool to Quebec aboard the ship, Parisian of the Allan Line. He was a single 16 year old sailing for Montreal, Canada. The 1901 Canadian census reveals that Henley C. R. had come to Canada from England in 1899. Henley was living as a lodger at that time doing farm labour in Manitoba. Henley later sailed into the United States through Ellis Island. Records show that on February 15, 1903, at the age of 21, Henley sailed into New York stating that his residence was in Winnipeg. On August 24, 1913, at the age of 31, Henley, still single, sailed into New York and listed his occupation as actor. He listed his next of kin to be his parents, Captain and Mrs. Edwards, The Den, Christchurch, England.

Henley Charles Rupert Edwards in July 1919 in an acting role.


An article along with a photo of Mr. Henley Edwards was published in several newspapers in Pennsylvania. The article reads in part, as follows: Few actors of the present day have a keener understanding of the art of characterization and makeup than has Mr. Henley Edwards, who plays the chief of police in the great mystery comedy, Seven Keys to Baldpate. Mr. Edwards who comes from British parents, has achieved a long line of successes in the theatrical world. According to the press, his performances have been uniformly good, and invariably show a painstaking attention to detail."

Henley Charles Rupert Edwards with his wife Ada Emily, and her sister Elsie Victoria

Henley and Ada Edwards

Caption on reverse; " I took this at my brother in law's place yesterday February 15th, 1959. Not very good, taken in late afternoon, morning is best. Ada on my right. Sister in law on my left. Henley." Ada Edwards was born Ada Emily Mundy on October 8, 1894 in Southampton, Hampshire, England. Ada had a sister named Elsie Victoria Mundy, who was born 1905 in Southampton, Hampshire England, and who married Robert Wallace Herdman in London, England in March, 1930. Henley later met Ada Emily Mundy and they were married in 1936 in New Jersey, and settled in the USA. Both Henley and Ada became US citizens; he was a motorman with the railroad. The final 6 1/2 years of his life were spent at the same address in St. Petersburg, Florida where the couple were evidently close to Ada's sister and her husband. Henley died March 30, 1963 at the age of 81 at St. Petersburg, Florida. Henley's wife, Ada Emily Edwards died February 18, 1971 at Southampton, Hampshire, England. Henley and Ada had no children. Robert W Herdman and his wife Elsie both died at St. Petersburg, Florida in 1983.

Elizabeth Sarah Edwards

Daughter of Andrew Edwards and Elizabeth Davis Edwards

Elizabeth Sarah Edwards was baptized February 17, 1785, She married her first cousin, Thomas Spencer Edwards of Comfort Hall, Antigua. Thomas was baptized March 19, 1785. They had five children. Thomas Spencer Edwards was baptized July 4, 1807 at St. Philip's. He died at the age of 9½ in Liverpool on January 23, 1817. Andrew Berry Edwards was born about 1808, and died at sea on the Atlantic Ocean, on July 16, 1816 at the age of 8. William Horatio Edwards was born about 1811, of Brasenose College, Oxford, matriculated October 10, 1828 at the age of 17. He married Emma Dalzell Chopin. They had one son, Thomas Henry Edwards, who died a bachelor. A daughter Elizabeth Margaret Edwards, was baptized April 6, 1814, at St. Philip's and died June 22, 1819 at Antigua at the age of 6 years and three months. The fourth son of Thomas and Elizabeth was Henry Benjamin Edwards, who died August 17 at St. Philip's, and was buried August 18, 1815 at the age of 5 months.

Hugh Edwards

Son of Andrew Edwards and Elizabeth Davis Edwards

Hugh Edwards was a barrister at law. He married Anne Charlotte Durat on April 1, 1815 at St. John's. Two sons were born; Andrew Sebastian Edwards and Hugh Durat Edwards. Andrew Edwards was born September 28, and baptized December 19, 1815 at St. John's. He died the following year and was buried December 2, 1816 at St. John's. Hugh Durat Edwards was born March 29, and baptized September 18, 1821.

Samuel Edwards

Son of Andrew Edwards and Elizabeth Davis Edwards

Samuel Edwards Esq. married Sarah, and was living at 1815. He had a son Edward Edwards, who was baptized January 15, 1808.

Andrew John Edwards

Son of Andrew Edwards and Elizabeth Davis Edwards

Andrew John Edwards was an infant when he died and was buried November 25, 1808 at the Family Burial ground.

Lewis Edwards

Son of Andrew Edwards and Elizabeth Davis Edwards

Youngest son of Andrew and Elizabeth Edwards.

Arrabella Davis Edwards

Daughter of Andrew Edwards and Elizabeth Davis Edwards

Arrabella Davis Edwards died a spinster, and was buried October 23, 1815. She was buried in the family vault on the estate of her father, Cocoa Nut Hall. Her will was dated March 22, 1815.

Mary Hurst Edwards

Daughter of Andrew Edwards and Elizabeth Davis Edwards

Mary Hurst Edwards was born about 1788, died November 23, 1792 at age 4.

Mary Hurst Edwards

Daughter of Andrew Edwards and Elizabeth Davis Edwards

Mary Hurst Edwards was born 1794, and died at nine months on October 24, 1794.

Charlotte Edwards

Daughter of Andrew Edwards and Elizabeth Davis Edwards

Charlotte Edwards was born about 1797, and died October 31, 1800 at the age of 3.